I came across this post today from 2009 that solves a problem I have been having with SQL Server XML shredding, and I thought I would pass it along in case anybody else has managed to miss it for as long as I have.
When working with XML in SQL Server, you might want to uniquely identify one node against another. But due to the flexibility with which XML can be defined, this is not always directly possible. SQL Server’s own XML structures are guilty of having this
Source: Adam Machanic : Uniquely Identifying XML Nodes with DENSE_RANK
Continue reading →
While testing Family Tree Maker 2017 (FTM), I happened to notice that GEDCOM imports for my Proximity Database project had ceased to work. At first I suspected FTM, but the output was fine and it was a complete mystery why the imports were failing.
Continue reading →
Update: It shipped! It shipped!! Less than four months late! That’s not too bad in this industry. There is an ongoing deployment-gone-wrong story involving SQL Server and about which I have heard nary a word on the SQL Server blogs. While it looks a lot like a classic, doomed-to-failure approach … Continue reading →
Update (3/28/17): As a simple workaround, I added a string split UDF that does the same thing (only much more slowly). If I need to compile the DB project, I replace the intrinsic function with the UDF in the two places it is called. Otherwise I switch back to the … Continue reading →
Update (2/26/17): It turns out that I did have uses for several of the GDAL 2.1 features, and there was a simple fix for the problem — switch to a different distribution. I tried the GIS Internals msi installer and everything worked the way it should.
Final update: the broken logo image is no more. I finally tracked the faulty html down to the Weaver Xtreme theme settings and removed it once and for all. Goodbye, little question mark.
Why I don’t do AGs (nothing against them; just not part of the service here)… Availability Groups: More Planned Downtime for Less Unplanned Downtime – Brent Ozar Unlimited®
Love this… This is nothing new but it’s still a fun idea. The problem: The vendor app we just purchased (and are told we must keep) requires the sa password. The vendor insists that sa is hard coded int… Source: SA Spoof | SQL Studies
Update (7/25/16): You should be fine with older versions of Report Server and SSMS 2016/Visual Studio 2015/SSDT, if you do these three things: Set the appropriate compatibility level for deployment (TargetServerVersion) in the report project properties. Build the report project before deploying (this may also catch some kinds of errors). … Continue reading →
Window Functions and Cruel Defaults – Brent Ozar Unlimited®