Update (3/28/17): As a simple workaround, I added a string split UDF that does the same thing (only much more slowly). If I need to compile the DB project, I replace the intrinsic function with the UDF in the two places it is called. Otherwise I switch back to the intrinsic. It’s annoying, but what else is a person to do? (I noticed this comment on Connect: “Some fixes have been added to SSDT regarding STRING_SPLIT. If you continue to experience the issue, please try out the next SSDT release.” I will indeed check it out.) [The fix is supposed to be in a “preview” release, which I have not installed. I will test it when the production release comes out.]
I happened to use the new (SQL Server 2016) STRING_SPLIT function in a table-valued function that I wrote the other day. When I went to sync the database to my SSDT database project, however, the project would no longer compile.
Before I migrated to SQL Server 2012, I was using Visual Studio 2010 Premium, which included Database Projects. It was a great feature that, once I figured out how to use it, enabled me to keep track of all my schema changes automatically, and to deploy them to production in …Continue reading →
After installing SQL Server 2012 SP1 on your workstation, an update to SQL Server Data Tools is required before Visual Studio 2010 SP1 can again open BI projects. You can find the SSDT update links for VS2010 and VS2012 here. …Continue reading →
Summary: When input to an SSDT DSV involves complex metadata such as nested views and/or MDS subscription views, performance of the DSV ‘refresh’ function may degrade to the point where it is unusable. Simplifying the metadata represented by the input solves the problem.
My migration to SQL Server 2012 has actually been going rather smoothly. The other issues apart from the one I discussed earlier have been relatively minor, although some were time consuming to work out and some were annoying. Here is what I have run into so far: …Continue reading →